Monday, October 25, 2010

Shocktober

Don't you love the Brunetti New Yorker Covers? I do. A friend sent me a text about this one earlier this morning, which I love, love, love. Although come to think of it, he might have be referring to last week's cover featuring the work of Antony Gormley. That would make more sense. (WAIT! On second glance, those might just be two people on a rooftop, looking over the city. I originally thought they were those Gormley statues on Mad Sq. Park. So confused! The two-people-on-a-rooftop-idea is nice as well. It reminds me of a recent trip to a contraband rooftop in Chelsea where I couldn't find the exit in a delightful champagne induced haze.)

At any rate, it's Halloween Week, something that always sneaks up on me in a panic. This cover chilled me out a bit, with its subtle little reference to It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Did you catch it, there, on the lower right? My sisters and I used to watch The Great Pumpkin while carving Jack O Lanterns at home. My dad would have to scoop out the guts for me-- I always hated that part-- then my mom would stick stubby tapers in their heads, glowing proudly in our front window.

Happy Halloween, New York. As of last night at 11pm I'm back in the city for a while after multiple weekends away, plus one very unfortunate week stuck in bed with a mouth full of stitches, sucking on ice, watching every Jimmy Stewart film that I could instantly stream. There is much to see this fall, and I hope to share more with you soon.

No comments: