Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Color





I read an article in National Geographic during the fall of 2001 called 'The Color'. I've been trying to find it online for the past 2 days, like an absolute crazy person, and I guess I've come to the conclusion that it just isn't there. Upsetting, to say the least. (I can even remember the first three sentences of that article. Come on, Google! Help a girl out.)

But the point is this. 'The Color' is peaking right now all over New England. I sat awake on a northbound bus last weekend at dusk, mesmerized by the sharp reds, the deep oranges, the shifting yellows. And it isn't just the leaves that peak, that's the thing! There is something in the air causing the shift, if only I had the article to explain the science to you all. The light that passes through the clouds each October is at such a perfect pitch that it saturates the color of everything you see. The bricks! The trees! That water! Your silly preppy socks!

I drank in that Color this weekend in Cambridge, Massachusetts while visiting a dear friend at Harvard. We scurried from brunch to the big rowing race to The Purple Shamrock with lots of hot coffee and intermittent giggling.

Pay attention right now, New Yorkers. Get out of town or get thee to Central Park. The Color will eventually fade into soft December and you don't want to miss it.