Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Armory Show

How gorgeous is that James Nares piece? I love his work, and saw his newest paintings at Pier 94 last night at Paul Kasmin's booth at The Armory Show. That, and about a kajillion other pieces and a bagillion other people and egos and poses. I don't even know what to say about The Armory Show right now, to be honest, other than it was a treat. A real treat. I have to take a step back every now and then to realize that I'm lucky to work in a job that I love with people I find funny and kind. And I was lucky to attend the vernissage (why they insist on using the French term and not 'opening' or 'preview' like normal people, I do not know...) of The Armory Show last night and then Pulse and Volta and The Art Show tomorrow. Whew.

It's a weird week, New York. And unless you're in it, you have no idea its even happening. But out there in the chilly March air are the best paintings and photographs and sculptures in the contemporary market today. It's the best of the best of the BEST, stuck salon style in a room built for storage. Anthony Gormley, Cindy Sherman, Erwin Wurm, Uta Barth, Susan Collins, Mary Heilman, and my dear James Nares' work can be found, to name a limited, favorited (favorited?) few.

They are hidden in concrete blocks jutting off the west side of the island, and a few uptown on the east side. This world exists behind closed doors and private parties, but it is there for you. And now that you know-- now that you have been told by your token art friend-- you must go see the zoo that is art week in New York City. It's an absolute treat.

2 comments:

Gail said...

You have the ability to make this art come alive for me. Thank you.

Mach1 said...

Sarah, insiders' language is the way people distinguish themselves as being a part of a certain sect. I would've thought you'd like that kind of thing. Words like "vernissage" are far too fun and interesting not to be said as often as possible. I am jealous that I really have no occasion to ever use terms like that. (Cooking is another good one. I'd work words like coulis, clafoutis and compote into everyday speech if I could.)